The use of pension structures is an essential mechanism for tax efficient wealth creation and provision for retirement. In order to maintain a sufficient regular income and a good quality of life in retirement, the advice relating to the decisions of how, when and why an individual invests in a retirement plan is critical.
Pension planning is a complex area so it is crucial that you receive the best advice in order to take advantage of the generous allowances available to you and do so in a cost effective and appropriate manner. We have significant experience and expertise in the area of retirement planning.
Why invest in a retirement fund?
There are many benefits to investing in a pension fund as outlined below:
- To provide for a future lifestyle. The current state pension is less than €12,000 per annum which is likely to be significantly less than your lifestyle requirements later in life.
- Tax relief is available on contributions to a pension fund within revenue approved limits. You can build a maximum fund of up to €2,000,000.
- Tax free investment growth exists within the fund until retirement.
- A tax free lump is available at retirement.
- In some cases you can access a retirement fund from age 50 if required or contribute funds to a retirement structure until age 75.
- In many cases the investor has significant flexibility with regard to the type of investments in which the pension fund can invest.
There are three main stages that need consideration in the retirement planning process and these are areas we specialise in:
- Before retirement – what is the most appropriate and efficient retirement vehicle for you to invest in now?
- At retirement – what are your options and what is right for you and your family?
- Post retirement – how best can you invest your assets to meet your income and growth needs?
Types of retirement structures
There are a range of retirement structures available to individuals. The type of structure that is appropriate for an individual is dependent on a number of factors as outlined below:
- Occupation type
- Income level
- Term to retirement
- Contribution levels
- Level of existing retirement benefits
- Investment risk profile
- Desire for investment flexibility and control
- Pension charges applicable
- Personal and commercial circumstances
Rockbridge Financial Planning provides comprehensive retirement planning services to our client ensuring they receive advice that is appropriate to their needs, circumstances and objectives.
Below are the various retirement structures (click on any of the following for further information) that currently exist in Ireland: